America
Joint probe underway after Pelosi's husband assaulted during home break-in
Washington, Oct 29
A joint investigation is underway to look into an attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband during a home break-in.
In a statement on Friday night, the US Capitol Police said that they are assisting the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the San Francisco Police with the joint investigation into the incident that took place earlier in the day, reports Xinhua news agency.
Paul Pelosi, 82, was "violently assaulted" by an individual who broke into their home in San Francisco, according to Nancy Pelosi's spokesperson Drew Hammill.
"The assailant is in custody and the motivation for the attack is under investigation. Mr. Pelosi was taken to the hospital, where he is receiving excellent medical care and is expected to make a full recovery. The Speaker was not in San Francisco at the time," Hammill was quoted as saying in an official statement.
In a separate statement, the spokesperson also said that Paul Pelosi also "underwent successful surgery to repair a skull fracture and serious injuries to his right arm and hand".
Nancy Pelosi, second in the line of succession to the presidency, was in Washington, D.C., with her protective detail at the time of the break-in, the Capitol Police said.
David DePape, 42, has been identified by police as the suspect in the assault on Paul Pelosi and will be booked on charges including attempted homicide, assault, and elder abuse.
San Francisco Police Chief William Scott told reporters that the motive for the attack is still being determined.
The White House said in a statement on Friday that President Joe Biden had called Nancy Pelosi to "express his support after this horrible attack".
Biden "continues to condemn all violence", the White House statement said.
4 hours ago
Musk's X suffers global outage, users in India unable to load posts
5 hours ago
EAM Jaishankar, Canadian FM meet in Munich; reflect 'growing momentum in bilateral ties'
9 hours ago
Bill Gates visits Real Time Governance Society Centre at Andhra Secretariat
9 hours ago
Rajasthan fire tragedy: VP Radhakrishnan, PM Modi express grief over loss of lives
10 hours ago
Shanaya Kapoor reveals 'Tu yaa main' came at a time when she was not really confident
10 hours ago
Trisha: Disrespect should and always will be called out!
10 hours ago
Sudipto Sen wished to create a universal cinematic experience of Indian occult world with 'Charak'
10 hours ago
RajKummar Rao on his Ujjwal Nikam biopic being physically demanding: Had to gain weight..
10 hours ago
India, Greece discuss enhancing maritime cooperation
10 hours ago
Class 10 student dies after jumping from school building in K'taka's Bharamasagara
10 hours ago
Days on, no breakthrough in Pangode Military Camp tusks theft
10 hours ago
SC to commence hearing Sabarimala review case on entry of all women from April 7
10 hours ago
Over 40 lakh visitors from 100 nations: BAPS Hindu Mandir in Abu Dhabi marks two years of global inspiration
